Unblock ventilation

It is dangerous to block ventilation to fires and stoves. If you block ventilation to your appliances it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

They need a consistent supply of air in order for complete combustion to happen and for the appliance to work correctly. Make sure rooms and heaters are well ventilated and not blocked to stop draughts or to dry clothes.

If you have a fire or a stove you should empty and check the ash can daily, clean the flue ways at the back of the boiler weekly and clean the throat plates at the top of the room heater monthly. Also check outside vents to ensure that vegetation has not grown over the outlets and blocked air flow.

Chimneys should be swept at least once a year, preferably before winter, or more often if used heavily. This is important as birds’ nests, falling stonework and rubble, spider webs and leaves can block chimneys and stop or reduce the flow of air.

Any blockage can alter the combustion balance or can cause carbon monoxide to come into the home instead of being safely vented from the property outside.

If you are worried about draughts in your home that might be affecting your fuel burning appliances, you should speak to an installation specialist who may be able to recommend a different place for the appliance to be located.