Service appliances

For protection from carbon monoxide poisoning you must have all fuel-burning appliances – including stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters – serviced annually by a qualified and registered engineer.

All gas appliances should be serviced and safety-checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI in Great Britain and the Isle of Man on 1 April 2009. To check if an engineer is Gas Safe registered visit or call 0800 408 5500.

For solid fuel appliances, contact HETAS (Heating Equipment and testing approval scheme for solid fuel and biomass heating systems, fuels and services) or 0485 634 5626 and for oil appliances contact OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association) or 0845 658 5080.

If you live in rented accommodation with gas appliances your landlord must provide you with proof that a Gas Safe registered engineer has safety-checked the appliances within the last 12 months.