Emma Jackson

“I don’t want anyone to experience the pain my family has. I hope that is reason enough for you to take time out of your busy day to read my story.

“Six years ago, I couldn’t believe it when a police officer arrived at my home and told us my father had died. The shock of hearing the news my father had been poisoned by carbon monoxide in his hotel room while on a business trip was indescribable.

“My father mistook the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning for flu-like symptoms. He told his colleagues he was feeling unwell and apologised for being late to meet them. He was a larger-than-life man who seemed immune to health problems. He hadn’t visited the doctor in nearly ten years.

“It’s extremely important that there is an awareness of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately we are not taught how to prevent or detect CO poisoning. As an 18 year old, I did not know how carbon monoxide poisoning could take place. I understand the signs now but it’s been through heartache. Relatives and friends close to me understand the dangers, because I’ve been spreading the word as I don’t want awareness to be raised through more terrible experiences.

“It’s taken the last six years to do some campaigning because, as a family, we dealt with our grief privately. However, I’ve realised that this publicity isn’t about my family and me. It’s about protecting you, the reader, and your family. If my story encourages just one person to get a CO alarm, then it will have been thoroughly worthwhile. Don’t put it on a list of things to do either –get one straight away and live safe in the knowledge that you will not lose a loved one in such a needless way.”