CO Be Alarmed! comment on rising CO incidents in Scotland

Following the increase of deaths and carbon monoxide (CO) related incidents in Scotland, CO Be Alarmed! issued the following statement.

Lawrence Slade, Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed!’s spokesperson, said:

“It is alarming to see a rise in carbon monoxide deaths and incidents in Scotland.

“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that has no colour, taste or smell. I urge everyone to buy, fit and maintain an audible CO alarm. It can save your life. It is also vital to have all fuel-burning appliances – including stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters – serviced annually by a qualified and registered engineer.”

 Notes to editors:

  • Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! is the national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. The campaign is run by Energy UK on behalf of Britain’s major gas and electricity companies in partnership with the Dominic Rodgers Trust, and is supported by more than 40 other organisations. You can find out more on the CO BE Alarmed! website.
  • Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn completely. The most common cause of this is when an appliance, such as a boiler or cooker, is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.