Protect yourself from CO at Glastonbury

An estimated 135,000 people could be at risk of poisoning or death from carbon monoxide at this year’s Glastonbury Festival, CO Be Alarmed said today. On the eve of Glastonbury, the campaign sought to highlight the unseen dangers of carbon monoxide particularly for those at festivals.

Carbon monoxide is produced from various activities that take place at festivals; BBQs, bonfires, shisha pipes and gas cookers or heaters.

When these items are used incorrectly in enclosed spaces it leads to a build-up of the poisonous gas which has no colour, taste or smell. Potentially carbon monoxide can be fatal, for you and for those around you.

Festival checklist:

  • Bring an audible CO alarm – You can get them from DIY shops, supermarkets, many high street shops and online; they cost around £15
  • Don’t bring your barbeque inside an enclosed space, lit or extinguished
  • Always keep any area well ventilated
  • Check any appliances, cookers or heaters you bring have been serviced regularly

Carbon monoxide symptoms can be mistaken for a cold or the after-effects of a night’s partying. It causes dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and a loss of consciousness. In some cases this leads to permanent brain damage.

To the thousands of festival goers off to Glastonbury this year, take a portable CO alarm with you and make sure you use your fuel burning appliances safely in the open air.
Enjoy Glastonbury, know the dangers and stay safe this weekend.