English Tourism Week is a fantastic opportunity to travel around the country, see somewhere new and to experience a part of England that you have not seen before. But it is important to remember, whether you are renting a house or camping, to make sure you bring a carbon monoxide alarm with you.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that cannot be seen, smelt or tasted. It can be produced by faulty appliances such as boilers, cookers, BBQs or fires and can only be detected by a CO alarm.
Around 40 people each year lose their lives because of CO and thousands more are treated in hospital. CO poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and a loss of consciousness.
The most important thing to remember is that a portable CO alarm is the only way to know if you are safe in a rented house or B&B. They usually cost around £15 and can be bought from DIY shops or supermarkets.
It is not a legal obligation for landlords or B&B owners to have a CO alarm installed and a smoke alarm will not keep you safe from CO. So, enjoy English Tourism Week and make sure you’re safe from this silent killer.