Be safe from Carbon Monoxide this British Travel Week

British Travel Week is the perfect time to travel around the country and experience a part of Britain you have not seen before. Whether you are renting a house or camping, it is vital that you remember to bring a carbon monoxide alarm with you.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that cannot be seen, smelt or tasted. It can be produced by faulty appliances such as boilers, cookers, BBQs or fires and can only be detected by a CO alarm.

Around 40 people each year lose their lives because of CO and thousands more are treated in hospital. CO poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and a loss of consciousness.

Make sure that you stay protected; a portable CO alarm is the best way to know if you are safe in a rented house or B&B. They usually cost around £15 and can be bought from DIY stores or supermarkets.

Smoke alarms will not keep you safe from CO, so while you are packing your suitcases with clothes and toiletries, do not forget to pack your CO alarm.

Enjoy British Travel Week and make sure you are safe from the silent killer.