Remember, remember to stay safe from CO this 5th of November

Everyone enjoys Guy Fawkes night but it is important to stay safe. Bonfires and campfires produce a vast amount of carbon monoxide (CO). Fireworks, bonfires, sparklers are all fun when safely lit in the open air. But, if they are in an enclosed space they can lead to a build-up of deadly CO.

CO is produced when fuels such as gas, wood and coal are burnt and it cannot be seen, smelt or tasted. It causes headaches, dizziness, nausea, a loss of consciousness and is deadly in large doses. Our research shows that 71% of people do not know campfires produce CO so it is vital that people know to be safe.

If you are planning on having a bonfire at home today, make sure you follow the guidelines. Keep it away from other flammable objects, keep children at a distance and keep it in the open air. But most of all, have fun!

Remember, remember to stay safe from CO on the 5th of November!