Get ready to stay safe this winter during Gas Safety Week

It is vital that each household is fitted with an audible carbon monoxide alarm (CO) and that fuel burning appliances are serviced regularly by a registered engineer. As the weather gets colder people tend to turn up the heating and stay indoors. This is when many people come into contact with CO.

Carbon monoxide can be produced by faulty fuel burning appliances such as boilers, cookers and gas fires. It causes nausea, headaches and dizziness and can cause permanent brain damage and sometime can be fatal. It cannot be seen smelt or tasted so the only way to stay safe is to learn the signs, buy and alarm and have your appliances serviced.

Lawrence Slade, spokesman for CO – Be Alarmed said:

“Carbon monoxide can’t be seen smelt or tasted so you have to make sure all precautions are in place to prevent a terrible tragedy. Gas Safety Week is a great opportunity to get prepared for the colder winter months. Too many people are affected by CO each year so please; service your appliances and buy and alarm.”

Notes for editors

  • CO – Be Alarmed is the national campaign for carbon monoxide awareness. It has been running since 2008 and is funded by the major energy companies.
  • Gas Safety Week is organised by the Gas Safe Register and runs from the 15th to the 21st September. It aims to raise awareness of gas safety across the UK. More information can be found on their website.