Protect your family from CO poisoning this Child Safety Week

There is nothing more important to a parent than the safety of their child. Some dangers are easy to spot. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is not one of them. CO cannot be smelt, seen or tasted which is why it’s nicknamed ‘the silent killer’. The only way to keep your family safe is by knowing the signs and installing an audible CO alarm.

CO is produced by fuels such as gas or oil not burning properly. This can happen in faulty boilers, cookers, gas fires, petrol engines and BBQs. The deadly gas causes nausea, headaches, dizziness, a loss of consciousness and in high doses, even death. Long exposure can also lead to permanent brain damage.

If you think you may have been exposed to CO, stop using any fuel burning appliances, go straight outside and call a doctor. An alarm is the only sure-fire way to know if there is CO is in the room. They can be bought for around £15 from DIY shops and supermarkets.
Around 40 people each year are killed by CO and thousands more need hospital treatment. Don’t put your family at risk. This Child Safety Week, go out and buy an audible CO alarm.