Enjoy your bank holiday, safe from CO

It’s the second May bank holiday this weekend. The sun is out and summer is on its way. Many people like to enjoy the bank holiday with a BBQ or by going camping. If you do, make sure that you stay safe from the potential effects of carbon monoxide (CO).

BBQs and gas heaters both produce CO, a deadly gas that cannot be smelt, tasted or seen. When people use a BBQ in a tent, a caravan or under a canopy it can lead to a build-up of CO. Last summer saw a number of people falling ill after taking a BBQ or gas heater into a tent for warmth.

CO causes dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and a loss of consciousness. It can cause permanent brain damage and in some cases can be fatal. If you are going away this bank holiday weekend, take a portable CO alarm with you and make sure you use your fuel burning appliances safely in the open air.

It is important to know the dangers of CO. This bank holiday be aware and be safe.

Find out more on how to stay safe.